Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Soup*Salad*Spanakopita

[gallery order="DESC"]
Yes, it is kind of an unlikely combo but there was a no-holds-bar in my kitchen this weekend… this is only a portion of what was created over my 3-day weekend    (Hooray for working in a high school!)  


As S so clearly stated, my sisters and I are very different, I, (K) have been described as the cook/baker of the family probably because unlike my little sisters S & T who get stressed and run to the gym, I head to my Kitchen Aid mix master. (Over the years my various roommates have learned that if they return home to a kitchen filled with baked goods, it probably wasn’t the best of days in the land of K!!!)


What’s the source stress??? MY SISTER IS GOING TO BE SOMEONE’S WIFE IN 8 DAYS!!! OK, so that might not be the direct cause of stress because I do ADORE B (her fiancĂ©) but rather the fact that I don’t have a single thing packed- correction: I don’t even have a suitcase to pack anything in even if I wanted to! Yikes!


So off to the kitchen I go…


Leek & Potato Soup                                                                                                                             


- 2 tbsp of butter


- 2 cups of leeks (all of the white parts, a little of the green)


- 2 cloves of garlic, minced


- 1 cup of celery, chopped


- 4 cups of chicken or veggie broth (low sodium is best for you!)


- 1 cup carrots, chopped


- 3 cups potatoes, cubed (I leave the peel on for added fibre but you don’t have to)


- 1 cup buttermilk (or regular milk w/ a tsp of lemon or vinegar)


- 1 tsp dill


-Melt butter and cook leeks until softened


-Add garlic and celery & cook for 1 more minute


-Add carrots, stock, potatoes (salt & pepper to taste)


-Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat & simmer for 20 mins.


-Allow it to cool slightly and then transfer to blender


-Return to pot, add buttermilk and dill.


Salad


-Spring mix (really, any salad will do)


-Dried cranberries


-Crumbled walnuts


-Crumbled parmesan


Dressing


- 1 tsp honey


- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar


- 6 tbsp olive oil


-Mix it all together & enjoy!


Spanakopita


- 4 sheets of phyllo


- 14 oz spinach


- 2/3 cups feta


- 1/4 cup of mint, chopped


- Salt & pepper


-Butter flavoured spray


-Spray a large pan


-Cook spinach until just wilted


-Allow it to cool


-Add feta, mint, salt & pepper


-Spray 9x5 pan


-Fold 1 sheet of phyllo in half & press down into the bottom of the pan & on the sides


-Spray w/ butter spray


-Spread 1/3 of spinach mix on top


-Add another layer of folded phyllo sheet, repeat until all layers of done.


-Bake at 375 for 25-35 mins.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, KAte you are the BEST baker ever.....how is it you are not making the wedding cake? I guess that would be way too much stress. I too need to pack. I haven't had a washing machine for over 2 weeks and I tried to buy sandals tonight........

    After I clear my desk of a huge pile of work, the excitement will kick in. ,.....

    No drama at the resort like last year.....(What the heck was with that wedding party last year). Remember the blue shirt? LOL.

    Cannot wait....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipes K!!! I'll be making the soup and salad for sure....the spanakopita has way too many ingredients for me to even attempt to make it haha xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. And where was my invite? :) It must have gotten lost in the mail. Haha. Anyway, don't be stressed! It's going to be fine... everything always gets done. Besides, I haven't started packing yet either... but I do have a suitcase, so I'm one step ahead of you I guess. YAYYYY BAHAMAS!!!!

    ReplyDelete