Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Girl Should Be Two Things: Classy and Fabulous

Well it's a beautiful February day here in Montreal. The sun is shinning, the birds are singing, and there is hardly any snow on the ground. I don't know if I should be happy about this... or concerned. Seeing as I am not the biggest fan of winter, I am quite happy with our unusual weather, but it is a little bit odd. This time next week I will be doing my last little bit of preparing before we jet off to Nassau for a Girls Week away in the sun. I think I deserve a week off since I've been working so much this winter, so I'm going to suck the happiness out of every single minute there. Get ready girls! Or maybe I should say get ready Nassau!

View from the plane
Speaking of Nassau, I guess I better get started on my packing. As I have mentioned before, I like to have outfits prepared for when I'm going away instead of just throwing a bunch of pieces in my suitcase. This helps avoid over packing and also minimizes preparation time before dinners while away. This weekend, I'll put together some outfits and take some pictures of what I plan on wearing while I'm away. My sisters and I are very lucky; we've had good role models when it comes to dressing. My grandmother, who's age I won't disclose, is one of the best dressed ladies I know. She has some gorgeous pieces and always manages to put together some of the classiest outfits I've ever seen. She has an eye for what looks good, and is so darn stylish you'd think she had worked in fashion her whole life. As for my mother, she tends to opt for more casual looks during the day, but when she has somewhere to go... she always looks beautiful. My mother is tall, lean and has long legs; perfect for clothes. Put her in a pair of straight-leg pants with a nice cardigan and a matching necklace.. she'll look amazing. I like to think that I take a bit from both of them; I love to dress up and wear classic pieces like my grandmother, but I am a true casual girl at heart, just like my mama. Since I've done a lot of 'younger' fashion posts on this blog, I've decided to do a different kind of  fashion post; one that is more versatile idea of fashion. Many of these looks can be altered so that they can be worn by any woman. If you are interested in an item, just click on the name and it will take you to the source. 

Let's start with this Banana Republic Heritage Honeycomb Cardigan in Sandy Taupe. We all know that I love a chunky knit... well this one is the perfect combination of chunky knit and cardigan. Because it isn't too heavy, it can be worn, as seen above, with a blouse and jeans and still look dressy. It is such a versatile sweater, and could also be worn to dress down an outfit.

My mother would look absolutely perfect in these J Crew Women's Ludlow Trouser in Herringbone Linen. I love the cut of these pants, as well as the crisp pleat down the front. They aren't as heavy as they look, because they are made of a thicker linen, so they could be worn in many seasons. 

I know that the model wearing this J Crew Fanfare Tunic is young, but someone more.. mature could wear this just as easily. It makes the perfect beach cover up because of the fabric and the pattern, and is so light it is perfect for hot weather. Paired with a pair of capris in the same colour as her shorts, and you have the perfect summer day time outfit. 

I know older women tend to shy away from skirts because, as was believe by Coco Chanel "Knees are the ugliest part of a woman". Well, I don't necessarily agree with her, but know many women who do. So, if you're one of those women, this Tweed Pencil Skirt from Talbots is perfection. The length is long enough to cover most of the knee, but short enough to still be fun. I love the pattern on it as well. 

What better way to follow up a tweed pencil skirt than with Talbots Jackie Fit Tweed Notch Collar Jacket. Talk about timeless. I'm surprised my Grandmother doesn't already own this one. I absolutely love the cut of this jacket as well the one black button. So elegant and feminine. 

For a night out, this Luster Linen Sheath Dress from Talbots is really pretty. It could be paired with a cardigan (like the one below) for those who prefer to remain a little more covered up, as well as a lower heel or a glammed-up flat for those who want to dress it down. I love the neckline on this dress, as well as the material and think it really can be worn by women at any age. 

This Tie-Waist Cardi, also from Talbots is absolutely darling. It could be worn with so many different things, and has just enough detail to set it apart from your plain old off-white cardi.

A staple in any women's wardrobe is the classic light-coloured spring coat and Banana Republic nailed it with this Mid-Length Lady Coat in Cocoon. Everything about this coat just screams class. I love it, and if I wasn't the type of person who spills stuff on myself all the time... I would buy it.  

If you're in the mood to be a little wild, then this Snow Leopard Pencil Skirt from Talbots is for you. It has a completely different vibe from the Tweed one featured above, it is the same cut and can therefore be worn by women of various ages. It is fun and playful, and looks great with a black heel. 
And finally, something every woman should own are a couple of good scarves. I wear light scarves like this Banana Republic Heritage Print Square Scarf almost every single day not only because they double as insulation... but because they can add a little pizazz to an otherwise dull outfit. Next time you're wearing jeans, a plain blouse and a blazer, and are trying to dress it up, try a scarf, wrapped twice. I promise, it may not have been your first instinct (mine is always a chunky necklace) but it can give an old outfit a fresh new look. 


So there you have it, timeless fashion. I honestly love all of these looks and, even though the models tend to be younger, they can all be worn by women of any age. It's all about finding what's right for you. No matter what you're wearing, never forget these two things: Wear your clothes, don't it wear you and confidence is beauty. Have a stylish Tuesday!


With Love,
S

No comments:

Post a Comment