Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Presto Pesto

Good Afternoon Everyone! I know my post will appear dull next to T's gorgeous pictures of bright and sunny California... but I'm stuck here, in the MTL, at work... so I'll have to do my best from here :) This past week, Mama H and I headed out to the market near our house to buy flowers for her garden. We didn't find exactly what we are looking for, so on the weekend, we ventured a little further out to an incredible gardening store called Botanix, where we found everything we were looking for... and more. 







As Montrealers, we know that Summer is short, but sweet and that we only have a short window of time to enjoy all the beautiful colours that come with this much-loved season. Despite this, many people put their heart and soul into creating a gorgeous outdoor space full of spectacular flowers that they will be able to enjoy for a few short months. I find that flowers have a way of making me happy. Well, I guess flowers have a way of making everyone happy... that's why we give them to one another on special occasions. Even after 25 years of witnessing Mama H put together the most beautiful gardens, the beauty of flowers never ceases to amaze me. It isn't until you really look at a flower up close, at the colour, the detail, the flower as a whole, that you see that it is truly a piece of art. 


Though I don't have a garden or terrace like my mother does, I do have a small balcony with just enough room for a table for four and a small vegetable garden. 





There is something so special about growing your own food... and since we can only grow them for a few months, I really feel like I need to take advantage of it. I bought lettuce, a cheery tomato plant and some basil. I have, however, since added a few more varieties of lettuce, a large tomato plant, some mint (thanks to sister K) and a hanging strawberry plant. I was so excited to have my own garden and could not wait to dive right into using my newly acquired produce. 



Since E is Italian... the first thing I made was home-made pesto. Though I didn't really follow a recipe, I used this one as a guideline, and even though it was delicious... it was missing a bit of garlic. I am pretty proud of myself though, seeing as it was my first time, and I'm looking forward to giving it another shot. 


I didn't take any pictures of Mama H's garden or back terrace, but it looks gorgeous... if I do say so myself! I will share pictures once I take them as well as new pictures of my fuller garden. Have a great day!

With Love,
S

2 comments:

  1. looks yummi. save some for me pls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yummi ! Yummi that pesto - U should give me your receipe -
      Lyse

      Delete