Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Fall into you

Good Sunday Morning All!!!

(Don't worry, I am in a better mood than I was in last post & come with pleasant thoughts!)

Although I do adore the summer season, there is something comforting & cozy about the fall. Yes, the air is cooler, it's often damp and we regularly feel threats of snow but it gives way to cozy sweaters, beautifully colored leaves and delicious soups!!!

When I woke up this morning and looked outside, my first thought was ewww... grey and rainy :(

The view out of my front window this morning


You don't have to look too much closer to see how easily the grey, rainy day can be ignored and the beauty of fall can take over. Plus, it's not like I have to go outside today... so I set myself up quite nicely inside.

For me, a cozy sweater, the afghan knit by my grandmother & a nice bowl of soup is the cure for a grey day, so this morning, I decided to go for a butternut squash and pear soup (See recipe at the bottom of this post- it's worth it!!!)

I used a butternut squash from our local market, (specifically from my favorite farmers from Les Jardins Carya) and pears. Oh ya, and all the herbs were taken from my little indoor garden (p.s. if anyone has tips on how to keep an indoor herb garden alive, I'd love to hear from you!!!)


So now that the soup is simmering on the stovetop and our house is filled with pleasant fall-like smells, I can sit and relax with my cup of tea and a good book... that is until the boys (DB & friend from out of town) awake... might not be so peaceful then :)

Until then, I will enjoy a new book, How Lucky You Are by Kristyn Kusek Lewis (I'll let you know!) and a steaming cup of tea in my new mug from mommy-to-be-sister-T!
YESSSSSSSSS Lazy Sundays!!!



My cozy zone - cut flowers from our fall garden & my new cup from Anthropologie - now open in Montreal!!

xoxoxo
 
K

*Butternut Squash & Pear Soup*
     2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
  • 1 leek, white part only, chopped
  • 1 large butternut squash, chopped
  • 1  pear
  • 6 cups chicken stock
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 
  • Coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper

  •  

    Directions

    1. Heat the butter in a soup pot. Add onion, celery, carrot and leek and sauté until they begin to caramelize. Add the squash, pear, stock, bay leaves and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Simmer until squash and pear are tender. Puree the soup in a food processor or blender until smooth and then return to pot to reheat.

    ENJOY!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment