Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

January 1st Is The First Blank Page Of A 365 Page Book. Write A Good One.

Good evening every one and Happy New Year!


First off, we hope that everyone had a great holiday season and an even better start to 2013. Our New Year's Ever was... perfect. Perfect because we got to spend it all together, and because we all managed to stay up until midnight. Even Mama H!

We may not have made it into the big city to watch the ball drop, or attended a wile house party, but we did throw quite the party in our little home in Hackensack. We played games, drank champagne, counted down from ten and watched the fireworks and the glow coming from the city. It was so magical, that I had tears in my eyes as we shouted 'Happy New Year' to fellow neighbors out on their balconies watching the sky light up with us. 










And what are my new year's resolutions? I have none. That's right. I don't promise to lose weight, or go to the gym every day. I don't promise to shop less or stop swearing. For the first time, I will not make any resolutions... because resolutions never last. 



I happen to love enjoying a nice dinner with my family, and a couple glasses of wine with E. I don't love the gym and, even though I go, I don't want to feel guilty about missing a day to hang out with my sisters. And you know what? Sometimes, no polite adjective or verb can explain how you feel and you just have to give in to your inner sailor (sorry Mama). So, instead, I will continue to do what I've attempted to do for the past little while. I will try and be a better daughter, a better sister, a better girlfriend, a better friend... a better person. 



I will continue to try my best to balance spending time with my family, and being a successful business woman. Balance pizza and wine with yogurt and granola. Yoga and jogging. Ying and Yang. There will be setbacks, but there will also be productivity. Of course, I always strive to be more organized, more efficient, and healthier. But resolutions imply deadlines, and I don't want deadlines. Improving oneself is an ongoing process; there is no start and end date. This upcoming year will bring many challenges but, I also have a sister who is engaged and a sister expecting a baby. Soon, we will have a new brother in-law and a niece or nephew who we can spoil and shower with love. Life seems to be that way; you can't have joy without a little sadness. But, until then, I will enjoy my family and do my best to become a better me. 


Today, we made a trip down to the Jersey Shore for a walk along the boardwalk.


 Despite getting lost at first (my fault) we had a great day. We walked along the water, felt the sea breeze, and just enjoyed the day together. 


It was an absolutely perfect day which ended with a nice dinner and a few games of cards. E and I head back home tomorrow and, despite the good time we have had, I leave with much sadness. It is never easy leaving my parents; my heart aches as I hug and kiss them goodbye and I usually spend the first 30 minutes of the drive debating turning back. The day that they come home could not come soon enough. Our family is not complete without them. However, I do not want to sound unappreciative for the time we have spent together... because, believe me, I cherish these times more than anything. But that doesn't make leaving any easier. So, until next time, think about what you would like to do with your 365 days because I know I will be :)


With Love,
S

2 comments:

  1. Great post, S!! I may have cried while reading it - it was so sincere, honest and true to who you are. I loved the resolutions part - you're right they never last! See you soon xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMAZING!!!
    The past 10-days-or-so with Mama & Daddy H have been the BEST!!! Who could have predicted better?!?!!??! Let's be honest, as difficult as the past few years have been, our family has been equally (if nor surpassed) amazing! I love you all!!!!
    xoxoxo

    p.s. S, never knew u were the writer of the fam!!! Well done xoxox

    ReplyDelete