Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

Wiser

As I sit here writing... less than one hour before my 26th birthday... I am filled with many different emotions. So much has happened in the past year, that it is sometimes hard to swallow and is the reason for the tear in my eye and the ball in my throat. This is where I was exactly one year ago...





This photo was taken the day before my 25th birthday in Nassau in the Bahamas. Looking back I realize that, despite the hardness my family and I had experience over the past few years... we had no idea what was in store for us in the upcoming year.


I look back at my 25 year old self and I want to warn her about the hard times she is about to experience. I wish I could tell her how good things are.... how she should appreciate how happy she is in this moment. I want to tell her that she should smile more... stress less... and tell her family every single day how much she loves them, because this is the year she would realize just how fragile life truly is. 


This year was the year I met Prince Harry, the year my sister surprised me and took us to Bermuda, the year I rekindled friendships, the year we survived an actually hurricane and decided to be a better person. This is also the year where K got engaged to D and T & B announced that they are expecting making me an aunt for the very first time.  

But.... what comes up must come down... and this is also the year that we lost our beloved Grandpa George and found our lives turned upside down when our Mama had to be moved to the states for treatment. 



I felt at times that my heart had been ripped out, that my world was falling apart and that I wouldn't be able to handle the pain I was feeling. It was terrible and heartbreaking and extremely hard all rolled into one overwhelming package... no bow. I sometimes wondered how we were going to get through our days... but we did.... as always... as a family.


Now, looking back, it seems silly that I thought I wouldn't be able to make it through... but sometimes life is so hard to face. You can't always see the forest through all the trees... or something like that. I had my bad days, but things always get better when you are surrounded by people you love and who love you. 


Losing our Grandpa was one of the hardest days of my life. Not a day will go by that I won't think of my Grandpa and miss him. Not a day will go by that I won't wonder if he is up there looking down on us. Not a day will go by that I won't wish I could speak to him, ask his advice... wonder if he is proud of me. 



Similarly, not a day will go by that I don't realize how blessed I am to have my mother here with me. Not a day will go by that I won't realize how much she means to me... how much it means to me to have her here loving me, supporting me, and guiding me through life. For anyone who hasn't been through what we have been through... take it from me... you will only realize how much your mother means to you when you come close to losing her. 



So... now that I am 10 minutes away from my 26th year... I hope that I have grown. I hope that I have learned. I hope that I have become a better sister, a better daughter, a better person. I hope learn to fully appreciate life and all the gifts I have been given. I hope to that my love for my family and friends continues to grow. I hope to be more patient, less stressed, more compassionate, less angry. I know this is a tall order to fill... but I feel like I can do it. After all we've been through as a family... I owe it to someone to push myself to be all of these things... and that person may be myself.


Be kind.... be happy... be true. 

Kisses from the birthday girl. 


With love,
S

5 comments:

  1. I think sometimes the downs seem to come in rapid sequence and it throws your equilibrium off. But, as you know, the human spirit is resilient and the strength found can surprise oneself. You've done well this year S providing strength for those you love. I do hope your 26th provides many happy days and sunshine on you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Beautiful lady... I wish you the best with everything... I miss you xox :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading this with tears (literally) in my eyes. YES you have been through an amazing amount of hardship this past year - but look - you made it and things are on the up and up - the baby is coming, Kate's wedding, your Mum looks great and gets to be at home at least part of the time and you are still standing and holding your head high. They say (whoever they are!!) that adversity makes us stronger. This past year has not been so great for my family either but it has made us stronger as a unit and as you say that is what counts! I hope all your dreams come true for the coming year and beyond and know there have been many who have held you and all of your family in their thoughts each and every day as well! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When are you ever angry?

    Sar, you may have turned 26 but you are much wiser. You understand and are conscientious of life. Ever since I have known you, you have always known what was important. I want you to know and realize that you are an exceptional person and an amazing friend. You are authentic, independent, responsible. You are so efficient, you always get so much done. You are reliable, loyal, trustworthy, caring, compassionate and empathetic. You are always there to listen and give pertinent advice. Most of all you are always there for your family which is something I highly value and respect. You should be very proud and happy of the person you are. The fact that you say you want to be a better person shows how special you are.

    There's only one thing I want to see you do more often: SMILE.

    Happy birthday! I know it was a very special birthday because you got to spend it with your family.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK GOD I didn't read this when I was overseas!!! I am a puddle!
    David took so many words out of my mouth- I am so lucky, honored, blessed to have you as my LSF... you are nothing short of amazing.

    LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete