Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Scar Tissue

Good Saturday Evening! Is it just me, or does the first week home from vacation always seem never-ending? The vacation seems to zip by and then, you're home... watching the clock waiting for the weekend. I really shouldn't be complaining though because I know how lucky I am to have been able to enjoy an amazing family vacation on the sunny island of St-Martin.





Though it wasn't quite as wild as our girls trips that you can read about here and here, it was relaxing... just what the doctor ordered. What seems to happen when you get back from any vacation, however, is that your mind wanders to the 'what ifs'. What if I chose to pack up and leave this cold, snowy, grey climate and live something tropical? What if I make a life-altering decision to relocate? What if I were able to start a new life somewhere? Where would I go? What would I do there? Would I be happy? 




I find myself asking these questions any time I leave my hometown, but this time... the feeling that I could be happy living somewhere else is one that I just can't seem to shake. The inevitable will happen though: the sun will return and the weather will get warmer, the wind will die down, the grass will peek through the melting snow and, like the snow, our dreams of living elsewhere will melt away too. This is what I have decided I will call "Winter Scar Tissue". Now... I know that many cold-weather dwellers enjoy the cold and snow. I know that there are people who love to ski, to skate, to snowshoe and to snuggle up by the fire with a nice glass of red wine at the end of the day. I like the wine... but could do without the rest of it. 



I know I know... the grass is always greener. But... at least they have grass all year round! I guess it really comes down to my family. I have traveled quite a bit, even living in Australia for a few months, but I know I am too close to my family to leave them. I know that even if I had an opportunity to leave this cold cold (cold) place, I probably would have a very difficult time actually doing it. It's one thing to think it... another to do it. So, I guess for now I am going to have to settle for family vacations in the caribbean and summers in Italy. But hey... a girl can dream!

Until next time
With Love,
S

No comments:

Post a Comment